September 15, 2012

1st Grade Already!!

  The summer flew by, and here we are at the start of another school year.  This year Lily started first grade!!  She sure has grown......such a little lady now, much less like a toddler :(  It is so exciting for me to see how independent she has become.  She tackles school like it is her job, and she is such a big help to me and her dad in caring for her little sister.  Lily decided that she wanted to take ballet classes again this year, as well as gymnastics.  And lucky her, her little sister Violet is now old enough to join along.  Seeing the two girls growing up as sisters is truly special :)  I hope that they will always have such a close bond with each other.
  Lily's next visit to CHOP for follow-up is next month on October 18th.  She will finally be seen by all the doctors in the multidisciplinary Single Ventricle Survivorship Program.  This means that the doctors rotate to her, and she gets to be evaluated by not only cardiology, but also electrophysiology, neurology, endocrinology, and gastroenterology.  It is a great approach to managing these single ventricle kids over the lifespan, because we know their challenges are not only cardiac related.  We were told that her abdominal ultrasound and blood work at the last visit looked good, so we are hoping for positive feedback at this visit.
  I continue to be amazed at just how "normal" Lily is.  When I have those thoughts I quickly remind myself to say a prayer and be thankful for those children and families whom are not so fortunate.  A friend recently asked me to reflect on what I was thankful for.  My answer was that I was thankful for "my amazingly supportive a quirky family, as well as the ability to do a job every day in which I get to help people.  Most importantly, I am thankful for my husband, and my daughters.  I am thankful for the heart journey we have been on for the past 7 years because it has taught me to never take life and the small things for granted.  To see our daughter conquer the things she has at such a young age makes me want to be a better person every day.  She was given a second chance at life, and I want to make her proud :)  Thanks for taking this journey with us.  Here are some pictures......

1st day of 1st Grade!
 Lily and Violet
 1st day of dance 2012

  

No comments:

Post a Comment